Skip to main content

My thoughts on a personal vision statment

A letter I wrote to one of my teachers recently:

The problem I have run into is something i think almost everybody faces but 'somehow' they manage to 'bypass' it. I am having a very difficult time because of this. The problem itself is that I don't have a vision and therefore no direction and so I don't know what to do!

Do you have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

I think the traditional answer to these kind of problems is 'pray to God he will help you' but I suppose that really doesn't help, because in many ways I suppose I have been 'praying' to him for most of my adult life and if there is a particular prayer people know about then they seem to hold it very close to themselves.

Another view people have is "don't think about it!” This is almost a best seller among the group of people around me. I can't see this one solving the problem either.

"Good Luck!" is my personal favorite.


End of letter


People mostly don’t have a personal vision statement. Those who do have a clarity which helps them achieve their vision. With a certain resource of intelligence and enough passion most visions should I think be achievable.

People who I know have achieved their visions’ to a large degree are:
Google founders: “To organize the world’s information”
Bill Gates: “Put a computer on every desktop and in every home”

Earning money and even taking care of the family is hardly a vision! Both of these things can be done easily if one is pursuing a worthy vision! But how many people around you have given it enough thought? How many people have a vision? And why not…

The pharaoh’s vision I understand was primarily to achieve power. Ok so he achieved power, what then? Where do you go from there? Is this vision fulfilling enough? I don’t know how the Pharaoh would have answered the question I find it too boring a goal to pursue!

In the recent Bond movie his friend wanted to get revenge and kill the man who murdered her family. She did that. What then? Was this goal sufficiently big?

The prophets have had a vision that I must say has been the most powerful of them all! But they are outliers by a great measure! Having fulfilled their vision in the process great change took place in the world. It became a mess later on… because things were perhaps badly misinterpreted by many but the message is still there I understand for anybody to reach out and grasp.

My vision! It has to be good!

Comments

  1. What I would say today

    Good Luck is precisely what I would say now if somebody asked me the question about a personal mission statement.

    I would say this because one can only do the best given the opportunities they have.

    And make the best of them.

    And leave the rest to God.

    So you work on the immediate by giving it your best and wait for good to happen.

    That is why they say:
    “Pray to God He will help you”

    or

    “Don't think about it”

    or finally

    “Good Luck!” :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What should we aspire to

I have come about an understanding about the absolute purpose of our being and I think it’s not ambition but an aspiration. But if it is an aspiration what could be the absolute aspiration? Clearly the pharaoh must have taught his people to aspire to a position in his court. His method must have been a reward for serving him. But what service did he put his society to? It was the building of the Pyramids. Now the pyramids like all his other social projects were aggrandizement meant for him. And with the pharaoh at the top and his workers at the bottom another structure was created which was the hierarchy of society. Interestingly this entire society was put to one goal only: aggrandizement. Aggrandizement of any kind is inherently fleeting. For example if we aggrandize money it will get used up and disappear. If we aggrandize a seat of power sooner or later it will also disappear. Hence neither aggrandizement serving ourselves nor for another can be the highest we can aspire for. In fa

Explanation of the movie 'Revolver'

I saw the movie for the umpteenth time last night and I finally got it. This is what the movie says: 1) In every game and con there is always a victim and there is always an opponent. It's good to know when you are the former so you can become the latter. 2) But the question is how do you prepare yourself for this game? 3) You only get smater by playing a smarter opponent. 4) The smarter the game the smarter the opponent 5) Checkers is an example of such a game. Chess is a better game. Debate is an even better opportunity to learn and so on. 6) But the question is where does the game stop? or one can ask what is the smartest game one can play? 7) The answer according to the movie is: "The game of con you play with yourself". ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The text below has been added on 3 Dec 2008 and is based on a comment posted on October 30, 2008, at time 4:12 PM. I have only recently understood what this person meant an

Why feedback is important

We learn about the world as we get feedback from things within it such as from family, friends, mentors and even books. Feedback can tell you where you went wrong and affirm what you do right. It can thus help you predict the future. Interestingly there are people I have met who question the importance of feedback. They say: “I can figure out everything I need to on my own. I don’t need feedback like others do.” This is not true. In fact there is a big danger lurking in this notion. If the world you are creating is your own you might get stuck in it or some part of it and not know what to do next. If however, this world of yours and all parts of it are based on some feedback you will always know who to ask if you get stuck. Somebody once said that "fundamentally we are here not to be seen, but to see" i.e. to see things outside of ourself. You will notice that all growth you have had has owed itself to some consistent feedback. Suppose you wrote an essay. You wouldn't re