Skip to main content

On Lateral Thinking

What is Lateral Thinking?
As I understand it: Lateral Thinking is the re-patterning of existing knowledge.

How is it different from Vertical Thinking?
Vertical thinking explores the existing pattern.

Can you give me an example?
If gold was buried in the ground and I was to dig it out. I would first find the spot to dig: the pattern. I would then dig at that spot: vertical thinking. If I did not find gold till 20 feet what would I do if I continued to use vertical thinking? I would dig deeper at the same spot. And Lateral thinking? I would dig at a different spot.

Golden Rule: Lateral thinking (or re-patterning) is useless without further vertical thinking. So it cannot stand on its own.

How do I use Lateral Thinking in my life?
Among the uses the few I can think of right now are:

1)Re-patterning relationships

2)Re-patterning world view – change in assumptions of how the world works Eg. Parents can be wrong, childhood mentors can be wrong.

3)Re-patterning ‘moments’ in memory

4)Re-patterning beliefs – Strongly held belief in god, moving to confusion because of an attempt to find a proof of God through scientific means, to belief again based on view that scientific tools come with limitations of human ability while the answer to the ‘beginning of all things’ holds the key to the solution.

5)Re-patterning values – talking to girls is not a bad thing, it’s an ordinary thing, that could also be a beautiful thing


An example of “Re-patterning moments in memory”:

I remember this moment when I was in class 7. The teacher asked the class a question: the name of a certain person of accomplishment. I rattled my brain, “hmmm, maybe I know this one. I am smart”. Out came a name from nowhere: “ABC” (I don’t remember what name it was). Just then the brightest guy in class took the same name and that name rung a bell with the teacher as well. It was the name she was looking for and couldn’t remember.

I always used to think of that moment and revel in the thought of how my subconscious seemed to have the answer that my conscious mind was having trouble recalling and how out of the back of my mind the right answer just came forth.

I used to use this as an example of how the knowledge that you acquire doesn’t get wasted. If anything it gets stored in the subconscious, and thus the fascinating amount of knowledge one actually holds in their subconscious.

The moment is fresh in my mind still.

A couple of years ago this thought occurred to me again. This time it got re-patterned. It hit me that it was quite possible that the name I took was not the right answer. That the smart guy who also had the impression that I was smart, heard me take the name, and took it too (I was sitting close to him. He could have heard me though not the teacher). The teacher who was a class 7 teacher, young and inexperienced maybe, though probably not sure herself thought it to be the answer, coming from the smartest guy in the class.

So it is quite possible that the name I took, that the smart kid took, that the teacher confirmed was not at all the right name.

Since then that moment stands re-patterned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What should we aspire to

I have come about an understanding about the absolute purpose of our being and I think it’s not ambition but an aspiration. But if it is an aspiration what could be the absolute aspiration? Clearly the pharaoh must have taught his people to aspire to a position in his court. His method must have been a reward for serving him. But what service did he put his society to? It was the building of the Pyramids. Now the pyramids like all his other social projects were aggrandizement meant for him. And with the pharaoh at the top and his workers at the bottom another structure was created which was the hierarchy of society. Interestingly this entire society was put to one goal only: aggrandizement. Aggrandizement of any kind is inherently fleeting. For example if we aggrandize money it will get used up and disappear. If we aggrandize a seat of power sooner or later it will also disappear. Hence neither aggrandizement serving ourselves nor for another can be the highest we can aspire for. In fa

Explanation of the movie 'Revolver'

I saw the movie for the umpteenth time last night and I finally got it. This is what the movie says: 1) In every game and con there is always a victim and there is always an opponent. It's good to know when you are the former so you can become the latter. 2) But the question is how do you prepare yourself for this game? 3) You only get smater by playing a smarter opponent. 4) The smarter the game the smarter the opponent 5) Checkers is an example of such a game. Chess is a better game. Debate is an even better opportunity to learn and so on. 6) But the question is where does the game stop? or one can ask what is the smartest game one can play? 7) The answer according to the movie is: "The game of con you play with yourself". ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The text below has been added on 3 Dec 2008 and is based on a comment posted on October 30, 2008, at time 4:12 PM. I have only recently understood what this person meant an

Why feedback is important

We learn about the world as we get feedback from things within it such as from family, friends, mentors and even books. Feedback can tell you where you went wrong and affirm what you do right. It can thus help you predict the future. Interestingly there are people I have met who question the importance of feedback. They say: “I can figure out everything I need to on my own. I don’t need feedback like others do.” This is not true. In fact there is a big danger lurking in this notion. If the world you are creating is your own you might get stuck in it or some part of it and not know what to do next. If however, this world of yours and all parts of it are based on some feedback you will always know who to ask if you get stuck. Somebody once said that "fundamentally we are here not to be seen, but to see" i.e. to see things outside of ourself. You will notice that all growth you have had has owed itself to some consistent feedback. Suppose you wrote an essay. You wouldn't re